Saturday, April 11, 2009

We found a midwife/doula!! 187 days!



Last time I posted, I mentioned that I would write about the research I had planned for this month: midwife/doula, labor techniques and baby gear.
We found a midwife who is willing to fill the doula role. A doula is someone that "mothers the mother." She is one of the best midwifes in NWA and I'm so excited to have her be a part of our experience. The funny thing is, is that she lives on the street right next to us! We had an amazing conversation and our first appointment with her is on the 21st. Her services include: attending childbirth classes with us in order to get to know us and bond, help us with the birth plan and be our advocate in the hospital so that it gets followed, help me labor at home as long as possible, support me in the labor techniques I've learned, support both Blake and I in the delivery room, and breastfeeding support.
Blake will be an awesome labor coach. He is already doing his part! We will both be grateful for an experienced person to guide both of us.
The labor techniques are still being worked out. We'll take a class in Rogers, and I'll find out more about that in our meeting with the midwife. I'm not sure if we will take the class at the hospital too. I think that meets for four weeks and the class in Rogers is a six week class.
Now, my favorite, baby gear!! Baby clothes and baby things are so adorable. I've practiced self-control though and haven't bought anything except diapers. Consumer Reports had an issue last year on car seats. So far, that's all I can find that they have tested. I know they have a book on baby products tested so I will go to Barnes and Noble and take some notes.
I'm ready to go shopping at Babies R Us!!

1 comment:

  1. Im glad everything is working out well with your birthing plans!! Thats great that the pregnancy is going so well. I love shopping for baby clothes and didnt have near as much self control as you do lol.. But I cant wait to shop for you and find out if ill be buying pink or blue!!

    ReplyDelete